Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Inflexible Flex-Time

Here in Japan, I'm working at a large national company...they own my company in the US and I'm participating in an exchange of sorts. Back home in Pittsburgh, one of the visible benefits of our workplace is the opportunity to enjoy flextime...which basically means you came come in at a time that is suitable for you as long as you are at work within the core business hours and stay the requisite 8 hours. I looove flextime...and I hate waking up early. Even when I do wake up early, I must admit, I still can't get in early mostly because I take the time to eat breakfast, catch up on the news, check emails and generally prepare myself to face another day at work. All that being said, I'm not a slacker and have no problem staying late to get my work done. The beauty of flextime is that you can work around a schedule that fits your life as long as it doesn't harm your productivity. Overall, the work day is very flexible - from when you leave, to when and if you take lunch, and when you leave.

In my preparations for moving to Tokyo and my new position, I asked about flextime and was assured that it was in existence. 8:30 seemed to be the general start to the day, which was ok...I knew that I should make an impression and aim for that time...at least at the beginning. Imagine my surprise, however, when I came in at around 8:50 on my first week after printing out some documents at my apartment (I hadn't yet been hooked up to the printer at work) and was met with questioning looks and a sense that all was not okay. I won't go into detail, but I will say this. If you are coming to Japan, and more specifically, if you will be in my position soon - do not believe the hype. Flextime here does not necessarily mean the same thing it does where you are coming from...do not take that fact for granted.

Flextime for me means being here before 8:30 and taking lunch in the 45 minutes that are designated lunch time - and if I ever forget, the bells and the fact that the lights go down during that period are helpful reminders. It also means, that around at 5:00 when the end of the day bells sound, I am encouraged to leave....interesting take on flextime, I must say...

No comments: