Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Merlion in Singapore







Ok...I'll admit it. Prior to coming to Japan, and meeting some great co-workers from Singapore...my knowledge of the country was extremely limited. I knew nothing about it...except...and this is the most embarrassing part...that in the early to mid 90s an American kid was caned there. I know..it's bad, but apparently I'm not the only one. When I told a few friends and family members that I was traveling to Singapore for business while in Japan...they mentioned the caning incident as well. Ironically, these people were all around the same age as me...so I lack to blame our ignorance on our youth...haha. So, aside from cautions about not chewing gum and doing anything "caneworthy"...I was completely in the dark about the country. I won't turn this blog into a a geography lesson or history lesson, but I will say that I was pleasantly surprised! Singapore was great...really great. The weather is amazing...it's located near the equator so tropical weather ALL YEAR ROUND (take that, Pittsburgh)...the food is yummy (I love seafood and tropical fruit)...and they even speak English. Shopping is waaaay cheaper than Japan, and I had an excellent time. So excellent, in fact, that I called my mom immediately and recommended her and the family to put Singapore on the top of their vacation lists. I took a picture of the famed Merlion...and because of the poor quality of my camera (I know...I know...the new pink one should be here this week) you may only be able to see a faint picture behind our smiling faces




For more info about the famous Merlion....go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlion

No comments: