Monday, September 22, 2008

Earthquakes...Oh My!!

When I left work last Friday, the big news was that a typhoon was heading towards Tokyo. Several people reminded about me the rain and the bad weather that was on the way. At the end of the workday on Friday, in fact, I was startled to look outside and see just how dark and ominous it was. I got myself mentally prepared for this typhoon.

Truthfully, by the close of the weekend, the impact of the typhoon was barely detectable to me. It did rain quite a bit, but on Sunday morning (I think it was either Saturday or Sunday) I woke up to the feeling of my world shaking. My room on the 17th floor was unsteady for about five minutes (it seems like such a long time....especially when your in bed coming out of a deep sleep).

At this point, that is the second earthquake I've experienced in Tokyo and in life. When people say that they happen frequently here....they weren't exaggerating.

All of the training and orientation material information I received about Japan had significant amounts of information about what to do in the event of an earthquake. While looking for apartments, all of the listings boasted that their buildings would remain safe during earthquakes. During my first week of work, my manager directed me to an earthquake simulation training held by the police...we all took turns putting on helmets and running under desks while in a little trailer area that was moving and shaking similarly to level 5 earthquake. For those who may not know, here a few bits of info:

- The last earthquake in Tokyo over magnitude 5 occurred in 2005
--During level 5 earthquakes "many people try to seek safety and some/many people find it
difficult to move"

- Both earthquakes I experienced thus far were level 3
--Level 3 earthquakes "are felt by most people indoors"

Just in case you were wondering....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, Miss Pink! I remember experiencing earthquakes on Guam. We had a 6.5 on the richter scale. It was interesting, to say the least. Also had a few typhoons come through while I was there, so I've been through that one too. Welcome to island living, my friend. You live on a big island, but it's still just an island. :)