Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Getting My Feet Wet


One of the many things that I plan on enjoying are the onsen or "hot springs" here in Japan. I love hot tubs, and the thought of one makes me think of long languid soaks and enjoying my time here. I love being pampered, I love relaxing...so this seems like the perfect activity, for me right? Well...not quite...you have to be completely nude to enjoy this particular Japanese activity. So, when some of my new co-workers here invited me on a day trip to celebrate the holiday weekend...we thought long and hard (and exchanged about a dozen emails about where we'd we and what we'd do). Of the many suggestions considered, going to an onsen was one of them. I immediately leaped at the idea...after all, I'm certainly no prude. However, after a little consideration I knew that in spite of the great personalities of my new friends, and our mutual desire to learn from each other...this was one adventure that I wasn't quite ready for. While it is one thing to enjoy an onsen in the company of complete strangers (who by the way are speaking in a language I can't understand) it is quite another to do so with the women who sit right next to you day after day.
We ultimately reached a compromise...a wonderful day spent at Fruits Park...with you guessed it, plenty of fruit, yummy wine, great conversation...and a mini onsen...a foot onsen!! Great thinking, ladies!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know you did not actually make it to the "naked" hot springs but i would like some more info on those bc they seem quite interesting:) Are these pools co-ed?? Would you possibly be sitting naked across from a random man? Do they have personal springs.. or are they really big and communal? I know they are "natural" but i dont know in what shape or whatever they are formed. I want to get prepared if i get to visit Japan!!!