Monday, December 8, 2008

Senso-ji Shrine in Asakusa




For the last two weeks, I've had the pleasure of doing some sightseeing. A few Saturdays ago, I participated in a sightseeing tour with a group of European managers in Tokyo. We took in several historic sights and had a great time. I so enjoyed seeing the Senso-ji Shrine in Asakusa that I made sure to bring along my mother and god-mother during their visit the following week.


In addition to seeing this shrine, which is Tokyo's oldest, there is plenty of shopping and things to do in the area. Although I'm not a fan of the traditional souevnior shopping (think unlimited key chains, magnets and fans) boasting Japanese images...it's hard to avoid when I consider how many people will be expecting such trinkets when I come home. I've been two times at this point, and my recommendation is to go during the weekday if at all possible...the first time I went was on a Saturday and the crowds were almost overwhelming. In spite of when you go, it's still a great place and promises to be tons of fun.




No comments: