Friday, November 21, 2008

Feeling Fat..


I've basically accepted the fact that I'm a monster here in Japan. I haven't been thin since I was a child, but never have I felt sooooo big. At least when I felt big alone, I could always find someone who was my size or bigger...and feel a little better about it...
No such luck here. In spite of my efforts to get my weight in check, no matter how well I do...I'll always be super huge here. I tower over most everyone and know without confirmation that I could never run into a store and pick up some pantyhose, shoes, gloves...nothing and expect it not to be a big ordeal. When the shopping bug hits me, I take myself to an American or European store and breath a small sigh of relief.
Yesterday, on a shopping trip after work to pick up a farewell gift for someone, I finally felt the desire to do a little investigating to confirm my fears. I cruised over to the sale rack and picked up some cute Guess heels on the large rack. Never one for conversions, I picked up the shoe flipped it over and was astounded to see that the Large shoes were a size 7. Intrigued...I checked the Medium shoes -6 or 6.5...and the small 5 or 5.5...interesting, indeed. Never the one to hide my feelings, my shock and dismay were easily picked up by my shocking buddies. Sensing my concerns, they suggested that we go to the equivalent of a Big and Tall shop if I wanted to make a purchase. In spite of the offer, I've decided to save my money and wait for my trip back to the States...I need to save money anyways!!
On a trip to the countryside last weekend, I finally found someone who was bigger than me...and couldn't resist taking a picture of the evidence...haha!

No comments: