Monday, February 23, 2009

Eating Fish Sperm In Tsukiji




For many foreigners, Tsukiji is synonymous with Fish market. This is because the Tsukiji fish market is super famous, a place where many tourists visit in the early morning darkness (4:00 or 5:00 AM) to witness the fish auctions firsthand. I'm told it's an amazing place to see and experience, but like many of my Japanese co-workers, I just couldn't bring myself to wake up that early to witness it's many charms. For those who can, I've heard great reviews...so I would definately recommend. For those who are unable to get up quite that early, not to worry...Tsukiji as more to offer than just the early morning auctions. It's the place to be for the freshest fish and seafood, and if you're here in the winter months, the place to be to experience a special Japanese dish...fish sperm. Intrigued by the concept, I made a trip to Tsukiji after work last week, and tried the dish for myself. It wasn't the best thing I've eaten in Japan, and I wouldn't recommend gorging yourself on the dish, but a taste or two was a great alternative to the fish market...lol!
For more information about the Tsujiki fish market, visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsukiji_fish_market.

No comments: