Monday, February 2, 2009

Traveling Tips: Take the Shinkansen

When people talk about how good the transportation system in Japan is, they aren't lying. I didn't bring my car here, and many/most residents of Tokyo don't drive (similar to other big cities like NYC, Washington DC). Although I do miss the freedom associated with driving, I would not want to have to worry about driving on the left side of the street, reading signs, parking, etc... And, the public transportation system is quite convenient, punctual, and pretty easy to figure out. Most signs are also written in English (especially in the city) and I have been able to make do with my extremely limited Japanese and most people's ability to explain the basics in English. I travel for the most part on the metro and subway, but have also had the pleasure of riding in the Shinkansen or the "bullet train." It's a high speed and super comfortable way to travel, especially for those longer trips. It can be a bit pricey, but when traveling make sure to make comparisons and factor in the Shinkansen...it's always a great option!

For more information about the Shinkansen, go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinkansen

1 comment:

CybB said...

I just love your blog! It's fascinating to read about and see all these fabulously quirky Japanese things. Thanks for updating it so often!