Sunday, January 11, 2009

Kyoto: The Golden Pavilion




During my first weekend back in Tokyo, I visited Kyoto the weekend...what a treat. One of the first places on my list was visiting the The Golden Pavilion: Rokun-ji Temple. It was a magnificent site...I've seen a lot of temples and shrines here in Japan, but this one standout for obvious reasons. According to the info booklet I received upon entering, it's origins date back to the 1220s. There is a lot of interesting historical information about the temple and its inhabitants, click on the link below. The only disappointing thing about the temple visit is the fact that you can't get too close to it. The temple itself is surrounded by the Mirror pond: Kyoko-chi which prevents getting to close to the building itself. In addition to my recommendation, it is interesting to note that the Temple was inscribed as World Cultural Heritage in 1994 - a definite must see!
For more information, go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkaku-ji

1 comment:

Mom said...

Kara,

Thanks for sharing your amazing adventures with us. I'm really loving Japan these days and can't wait to visit again. Your blog is truly awesome!!