Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Temple and/or Shrine Etiquette




Japan is packed with shrines and temples...which may very well be the understatement of the day. On every corner, it seems you can find one or the other. I've been to some of the historic and my trip last weekend to Kyoto was no different. In the company canteen (aka cafeteria) I brought up a question to a co-worker..."How do you know the difference between a temple and a shrine." I'll admit I was a bit embarrassed to ask, but her vague response only led me to believe that maybe it just wasn't so obvious. Upon my return from my 45 minute lunch break (yes...45 minutes...a little crazy, if you ask me) I immediately looked it up online. I won't regurgitate the article here...the author did a great job of explaining the differences between the two as well as offering some advice in the way of etiquette. According to the article, my activities portrayed above in pictures fit right in with what I was supposed to be doing...what a relief!!
- Picture 1 and 2: Do say a prayer of thanks (those little paper/wooden things are prayers
offered by visitors)
- Picture 3: Do rinse your hands and mouth for purification
- Both pictures: Do take pictures where permitted
For the complete story...visit: http://www.thingsasian.com/stories-photos/2233

No comments: