Monday, January 26, 2009

Who Needs A Pedicure? Dr. Fish to the Rescue







Back in the States, I get pedicures quite regularly. Especially in the summer...everybody likes to have pretty feet, right? And not to be gross, but dry dead skin is never attractive on your feet...no matter how much pink polish you use...dry skin will make your feet look positively gross. In my quest for soft feet, void of dead skin, I've used a number of products some with better results than others. A few years back, I recall seeing a spot on the news about a new craze in upscale salons...where the clients put their feet into tanks of water where little fish come and feast on the dead skin on their feet. The salon was charging outrageous prices...so i didn't really think much of it...just another thing that's out of my range.
Imagine my surprise, then, while strolling through the foot onsen at Odaiba, I saw an advertisement for Dr. Fish. For about 1500 Yen, I could have these little fish nibble on my feet and emerge with silky smooth feet. I was so excited, I let out a yelp and pressured my friend into going in with me. I was so excited about the idea, that I forgot to consider the reality of the situation...little creatures touching me...eeek! I am embarrassed to admit that in spite of the calm of the other patrons (old and young alike) I couldn't stop myself from screaming and shaking every time my feet touched the water. My friend and I caused quite a commotion and probably should have charged a fee for being the entertainment of the afternoon. I was involuntarily reacting...I couldn't stop my spasms, screams, and splashing...I literally felt like I was on Fear Factor or something. I think my feet spent about 10 collective seconds in the water and being serviced by the fish...and I had nightmares all night long. I usually try to post cute pictures of myself on my blog, but for this one the terror and fear in my eyes express my feelings about the experience...more so than any words I can write down...

No comments: